BADIA – THE ABBEY CHURCH OF SAINTS FLORA & LUCILLA
Dedicated to the martyrs Flora and Lucilla, this church was originally a Benedictine Abbey constructed in the second half of the 13th century. Giorgio Vasari, in 1565, created the design for its complete reconstruction in the Mannerist style which is most clearly seen in the elaborate interior. Of the earlier building, the side facing Via Cavour still remains, as well as the mullioned window in the façade and part of the portal; the rest is the result of various reconstructions. An octagonal Baroque bell tower begun in 1650 rises above the church which has a nave and two aisles. The most important painting is on the inside wall of the façade, a fresco painted in 1476 by the Camaldolese monk, Bartolomeo della Gatta. The false dome painted to such striking effect by Andrea Pozzo (1642-1709) is a miracle of illusion and perspective. The main altar is the work of Giorgio Vasari and was transferred here from the Pieve in 1865. Vasari also painted the beautiful picture above the altar which depicts Jesus calling his Apostles Peter and Andrew. Other interesting works kept in the abbey are by Giovanni Antonio Lappoli, Baccio da Montelupo, Giuliano da Maiano, Raffaello Vanni, Teofilo Torri, Simone Mosca and Bernardino Santini.